What Fishing Pole to Buy: A Beginner’s Guide
If you are new to fishing, you might be wondering what fishing pole to buy. There are many types of fishing poles, each with different features and advantages. Choosing the right one can make a big difference in your fishing experience and success. In this article, we will explain some of the main factors to consider when buying a fishing pole, and give you some recommendations for the best fishing poles for beginners.
Factors to Consider When Buying a Fishing Pole
When buying a fishing pole, you should think about the following factors:
- Length: The length of the fishing pole affects how far you can cast, how much control you have over the line, and how easy it is to transport and store. Generally, longer poles allow you to cast farther and have more leverage over the fish, but they are also heavier and harder to handle. Shorter poles are lighter and easier to maneuver, but they limit your casting distance and power. The ideal length for you depends on your personal preference, fishing style, and location. A good rule of thumb is to choose a pole that is about the same height as you or slightly shorter.
- Power: The power of the fishing pole refers to how much force it can withstand before bending. It is also known as the rod weight or action. Power ranges from ultra-light to extra-heavy, depending on the size and strength of the fish you are targeting. Ultra-light poles are good for catching small fish like trout and panfish, but they can break easily if you hook a bigger fish. Extra-heavy poles are good for catching large fish like tuna and shark, but they are too stiff and bulky for most situations. For beginners, a medium or medium-heavy power is a good choice, as it can handle a variety of fish sizes and weights.
- Material: The material of the fishing pole affects its durability, sensitivity, and flexibility. The most common materials are graphite, fiberglass, and composite. Graphite poles are strong and stiff, but they can also be brittle and prone to snapping. Fiberglass poles are flexible and durable, but they can also be heavy and less sensitive. Composite poles are made of a combination of graphite and fiberglass, offering a balance of strength, flexibility, and sensitivity. The best material for you depends on your budget, preference, and fishing technique.
Best Fishing Poles for Beginners
Based on the factors above, here are some of the best fishing poles for beginners that we recommend:
- Ugly Stik GX2 Spinning Rod: This is one of the most popular and affordable fishing poles on the market. It is made of a composite material that is strong and durable, yet sensitive and flexible. It has a medium power that can handle most freshwater fish species. It comes in various lengths from 4’6″ to 9′, so you can choose the one that suits your needs.
- KastKing Perigee II Fishing Rod: This is another versatile and budget-friendly fishing pole that comes in both spinning and casting models. It is made of high-quality graphite that is lightweight and sensitive, yet strong and resilient. It has a medium-heavy power that can handle both freshwater and saltwater fish species. It comes in two pieces that can be easily assembled and disassembled for storage and transport.
- PENN Battle III Spinning Combo: This is a premium fishing pole that comes with a matching spinning reel that is smooth and reliable. It is made of high-grade graphite that is sturdy and responsive, yet light and comfortable. It has a medium power that can handle both freshwater and saltwater fish species. It comes in various lengths from 6’6″ to 10′, so you can choose the one that suits your needs.
We hope this article has helped you decide what fishing pole to buy. Remember that the best fishing pole for you is the one that fits your budget, preference, and fishing style. Happy fishing!